Thursday, December 8, 2016

Final Assignment Anthology - Revised Proust Cooking Show Script


*All stage directions will be italicized
Music starts. Camera starts with an extreme long shot and will move around the stage focusing mostly on the crowd who will be cheering.  Gradually the camera will focus back on to the stage and go into a deep focus/ close up shot. At the same time, I will be entering from the side of the stage walking/ jogging on to the stage while smiling and waving at the audience.
Announcer: Ladies and Gentlemen, please welcome your host Morgan Patrick!
Cheering sounds from audience and sound effects in background. Confetti will be blown up into the air as I jog on to the stage. Music fades and will stop at the drum roll.
Morgan: Hello Everyone!!! How is everyone doing today?!
Camera spins around to crowd in a crane shot, then quickly rotates back to me.
Morgan: Today I will be showing you all how to cook madeleines. I decided to make madeleines because I was inspired by a story I read called “The Proust” in which I had a similar experience as the main character of the story. So, to start everyone off, let’s all have some tea. Tea and madeleines are good together, I have found. I made this conclusion one day when “I was cold” and my mother “offered me some tea ….. [and per usual] I declined at first, and then, for no particular reason, changed my mind” for “[no] sooner had the warm liquid … touched my palate than a shudder ran through me and I stopped, intent upon the extraordinary thing that was happening to me … at once the vicissitudes of life had become indifferent to me, its disasters innocuous, its brevity illusory - this new sensation having had on me the effect which love has of filling me with a precious essence; or rather this essence was not in me it was me” (1). Now I was feeling all good, nice and cozy inside and then here comes my mother saying
[say in a mocking tone] “Morgan! Morgan!!! Child run down to the market and get me some of those “plump little cakes called “petites madeleines”” (1).”
So I get up and say “okkkkayyy” ([make sure to drag the word out very sadly]). And I get up and leave, taking my tea with me. I take another sip, “a second mouthful, in which I found nothing more than in the first, then a third, which gives me rather less than the second. It is time to stop [drinking this terrible tea because,] the potion is losing its magic” (1). So, I tossed it. When I finally got to the market and tasted one of these cute little “plump cakes called ‘petites madeleines’, which look as though they had been moulded in the flute valve of a scallop shell” with the complimentary tea the chef gave me, I had a new outlook on life. So, that is why all of us, whether you like it or not, will be having tea with me today.
(**pick up everything as item is said. Camera gets an extreme close up on me so people at home can see what these ingredients look like. )     
Now in order to make madeleines you will need 2 eggs, ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract,  teaspoon salt,  cup white sugar, ½ cup all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon lemon zest, ¼ cup butter, and  cup granulated sugar for decoration.
Camera zooms out.
So now what are we going to do is preheat the oven to 375. Goes to oven and punches in number. Head back to table and performs actions said.  Now we take our mixing bowl and beat the eggs, vanilla extract and salt together, gradually adding sugar until a thick batter is produced. Add  13 flour to mixture at a time then add lemon zest and melted butter into batter. Take spoon and gently mix batter together then pour into molds. Now we will let them cook for about 15 minutes or until they look golden. Heads to oven and places madeleines and pulls out already cooked batched. Now that we have our cookies ready we can place these cookies on a plate and add some decorations. And that is how you successfully make madeleine cookies. Thank you all so much for tuning in today, and as for the audience, everyone come on down and get yourselves some cookies!
Bye y’all!
Music comes on. Camera takes crane shot of crowd and the picture on camera becomes less focused. Show ends.
Resources:
Farris, Judy. "French Butter Cakes (Madeleines) Recipe." Allrecipes. Allrecipes, 26 Aug. 2007.              Web. 28 Nov. 2016. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/9954/french-butter-cakes-madeleines/ .
Proust, M. (1913-27). Remembrance of Things Past. Volume 1: Swann's Way: Within a                    Budding Grove. 
The definitive French Pleiade edition translated by C.K. Scott                               Moncrieff and Terence Kilmartin. New York: Vintage. pp. 48-51.

No comments:

Post a Comment