Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Sleep Deprived Pie



Due to the continuous, non-ending cycle of homework, exams, and projects I have lost countless hours of precious sleep in my life. My eyes, now carrying dark baggy circles, age me twenty years (Twenty years too early may I add). As an eighteen-year-old, I should not look and feel like a thirty-eight year old pushing forty. My weight is all over the place. The increase and decrease in my size has ultimately resulted in a new wardrobe based on too big sweatpants and sweatshirts. There is only one thing that could make me feel better when I have reached this point -sleep. However, that seems impossible these days resulting in my obsession over food especially, pies. This pie is a pie of my own sleep deprived creation. It’s a mixture of bitter and sweet emotions that I experience throughout the night as everyone else I know sleeps. I call this pie, the Sleep Deprived Pie. The warmth of being in the kitchen as I mix the ingredients of this pie together, make me happy. The simplicity of this pie makes it easy and enjoyable for everyone. It starts off with a dough pie crust. In the center banana slices are lines along the bottom. At the same time a bowl of dark chocolate is mixed and melted to liquid form. Then coffee beans are ground into a fine powder and poured into the dark chocolate bowl. The chocolate and coffee beans are then slowly stirred together. After stirring for a while the mixture is poured over the pie, filling every empty space. The pie is then left to sit while the oven warms to 350 degrees. When the oven reaches 350 degrees the pie is then placed into the oven to cook for 50 minutes. Once 50 minutes has come and gone the pie is removed from the oven with great care and left to sit for about 30 minutes. Whip cream is then cased over the pie with chocolate fudge, a dash of cinnamon, and strawberries. I can almost taste the pie now. The bananas for the sweet and filling taste to lighten the mood. The dark chocolate for the bitterness and anger I feel for having to go another day without sleep. The coffee beans for the boost of energy to lift my angered spirits so I can get through another sleep deprived night. The whip cream, cinnamon and chocolate fudge to give a light and airy effect. Lastly, the strawberries to remind me that there is something sweet and special in life and, that just because, I lose sleep another night in a row it’s all still worth it.

1 comment: